Time flies when you’re living life. I blinked and the next thing I knew I was turning 20! I blinked again and I was turning 30! What is a girl supposed to do! With work, family, friends and drama we sometimes miss out and forget to stop and smell the roses. I remember for years I was in severe “work mode” and I realized one day that I did not have a SINGLE summer memory of myself doing anything for YEARS! NO BUENO SEÑORITA!! Forget smelling roses, I didn’t smell bouquets!!! How could I be so careless to myself! Now I have made a promise to myself that I will live, do, have and experience things so I have lots to keep and look back on. So to make things simple here is a list of what I feel every woman should experience or own by the time they turn 40. Well, at least for myself, so here we go…
- Travel somewhere alone. Now I’m not saying go backpacking by yourself for a month halfway across the world although that is awesome and I recommend it. That’s not for everyone or for everyone’s budget. I’m saying even if there is a town, a city or just anywhere go alone! Go camping alone! You don’t need to for a month or a week, even just a day or two. You will be amazed what you will learn and experience about yourself.
- Splurge on something for yourself. Drop that money like its hot for your one and only… meaning YOURSELF! Whether it’s a handbag, shoes, jacket whatever it is DO IT!!! You live once and you can always make money. And besides you deserve it! Spoil yourself, we all deserve that special something.
- Attend a gala or charity event. Everyone needs to feel like a princess every once in a while. It doesn’t need to be limited to only prom or your wedding day. We all need a night where we can wear a fabulous gown and feel like Cinderella once again in our lives. I remember my first gala I thought I was going to hate it because it seemed stuffy and intimidating but I actually had a wonderful night. I met such kind and interesting people (as you would anywhere) but at least I looked fancy and had lots of photos to show off. 😉
- Own stemmed wine glasses. I went through this phase where I wanted to be ultra trendy and super cool and different and decided to get wine glasses without stems. You know the kind that every guy owns in their bachelor pad. Well ladies we are more classy than that and ladies only drink wine out of stemmed glasses. It’s just more classic and appropriate for wine. Just saying…
- Create a photo album. Now people constantly post photos online with Instagram and Facebook and a number of us (me being one of them) forget to take the time and print some of those amazing photos and putting them into an album like the good old days. Remember the days when our parents would hold onto this amazing book with all of these memories that go back for many decades and generations. Wasn’t it a much better experience than looking at these moments and holding these photos in your hand and not on a phone or screen. Everyone should have at least one amazing photo album on their coffee table or shelf.
- Do a photo shoot. This a ballsey one but its great. Years ago my friend convinced me to do a bikini shoot. I was on a diet and I was feeling good about myself and she convinced me to do it. As terrified as I was I DID IT!! I literally was shaking and immensely nervous. It was definitely out of my comfort zone but after a few minutes I was having fun with it. And now years later I look back and I think DAMN GIRL!!! I can’t believe it’s me in some of those photos! (not to sound cocky but I’m really really glad that’s me in that photo!) As intimidating as it may be just do it! It doesn’t need to be a bikini shoot. My friend did a glamorous shoot which looked very 1940’s and she looked absolutely stunning. She even has one photo enlarged in her bedroom. It should be on the cover of a magazine. She did it, I did it and you should to! So strike a pose!
- Do something that scares you. I will be the first to admit that I am the world’s biggest chicken. I’m afraid of the dark, I’m afraid heights, I’m afraid bees, I’m afraid of anything that goes too fast. I should just be cluck cluck clucking all day long. But I HATE being scared and force myself to face it. It also gives me a sense of accomplishment like I climbed Mount Everest. I went camping out in the dark, I couldn’t even see my hand in front of me in my tent. I have gone bungee jumping which was great but I will never do again. I have gotten stung by a bee hence why I’m still scared and I have driven a car on the autobahn. As much as these things scare me, I HATE being scared even more. I like to command and conquer. You don’t need to be crazy and do these things all the time, but challenge yourself and just face your fear once! You’ll be amazed how much your fear is more mind over matter. The adrenaline and sense of accomplishment after will be all worth it.
- Experience a culture completely different from your own. I love to travel. I will happily blow all my money on a flight and backpack and just experience the world all day every day. Take one trip wherever it may be where you don’t understand the language, you never tried the food, never heard the music and can’t pronounce a single word. My friend went to Japan last year and he LOVED IT! He said it was the best trip he had ever been on and he learned so much about himself and the people and culture. Education is amazing and knowledge is very powerful. However don’t under-estimate the knowledge gained when you open your mind to other parts of the world and experience different cultures and people. You will wise beyond your years.
- Volunteer. Not because the courts made you but because you want to! I volunteer and its something I look forward to every week. You will be surprised with the overwhelming feeling you get once you know you have done something good for someone or for society. It’s a beautiful gift you can give at not cost. If you can’t do it on the regular, you should at least do it once. You’ll be amazing with how much you will gain by giving. It’s wonderful.
- And at last…. complete a DIY project. Yes, you little miss handy pants! Whether it’s a jewelry box, a chair, or a painting. You be the creator from step one. You will be surprised what you are capable of and YES you can do it! My friend made cute jewelry for herself just for fun. She would always wear it when we went out and people would ask where she got it. Did you know she now has a business!!! I’m not saying we all will make a business from what we make. However there should be one amazing Goliath project we have set to challenge ourselves to do. My friend fixed up a car completely on his own. I made for myself a dress. It was a pain in the ass but I was very impressed with my sewing skills and show it off on the regular. You will be amazed with what you can create and once you are done you will be so proud you will want to show it off to everyone and their dog!
This list is for every girl who just needs an idea of what to do when she has a chance to stop and smell the roses. Live life in the moment and enjoy! If you stress about the future you will be anxious. If you constantly relive the past you will get depressed. If you live in the present, well… you’re living! Isn’t that just an amazing gift! How lucky are you! Don’t get into the tunnel vision I had been in with work and look back and not have a single moment to enjoy for years!! I owe living to myself as you do to you! I hope this list gives you some ideas and I hope you can share what you do.
What do you think you should experience or own before you turn 40 or even 20 or 50 when you finally have a chance to stop and smell the roses?